Job Description Summary: Turtle Island Restoration Network is a growing environmental organization committed to inspiring people around the world to take action to protect endangered marine species and the ecosystems we all need to survive.
We are seeking an Operations Director to take primary responsibility for developing and maintaining the organization’s administrative, personnel, facilities, and financial backbone to enable the organization to be highly effective. This is a new position, which reports to the executive director.
We seek a motivated individual with a commitment to the environmental and progressive movements. Ideal candidates will bring experience in financial and organizational management, human resources, IT, office services, facilities and earned income opportunities.
We are seeking a person who can work independently or in a team, with the willingness and ability to roll up their sleeves to carry out projects ranging from helping to establish our annual budget to making sure the roof doesn’t leak and the trash is taken out. Prima donnas need not apply. We are open to candidates with commitment, capability and experience from nonprofit, for-profit or non-traditional backgrounds (theater, intentional community, activist or artistic collectives, etc).
Responsibilities of the Operations Director
• Financial and organizational management. The Operations Director will be responsible for implementing systems to ensure that TIRN’s financial record-keeping is in order and presenting information about our financial status to the management team and the board. Position will take primary responsibility for developing organizational budget, reviewing financials and implementing decision-making processes to ensure the organization’s financial stability. Oversee insurance plans and legal docs. Work with CPA.
• Human Resources. The Operations Director will help make sure that the organization is honoring its employees and supporting an enjoyable workplace through sound processes and policies, employee benefits and employee development programs. Responsible for administering health and worker’s comp insurance policies, updating personnel manual, and making recommendations on organizational structure.
• Information technology. The Operations Director will act as principal liaison with IT consultant; develop tech plan; procure computer hardware and software in consultation with management team; provide on-site trouble shooting for problems with the consultant’s guidance. While this is not a tech position, the Operations Director must have facility for dealing with computers and not be daunted by technical problems. Mac, website and email listserve experience valuable.
• Office functioning. The Operations Director will be responsible for all aspects of the physical office environment to ensure smooth operations. Oversee office manager to ensure efficient functioning of all internal office supporting services, including phone, fax, copiers, ordering, cleaning etc.
• Facilities. The Operations Director will manage renovation of new office spaces, carry out space planning, oversee facilities maintenance and ensure that facilities procedures are carried out by staff; work with the executive director to complete permit applications for the organization’s properties; Act as liaison with the National Park Service and with neighbors.
• Earned Income Opportunities. Coordinate and grow retail merchandise program with the office manager; Coordinate usage of organization’s film footage; Research, analyze and pursue other earned income opportunities with management team.
• Other: Supervise office manager and contract employees as needed; liaison with BOD on related issues; other responsibilities as needed.
Salary: DOE. Benefits include full medical and dental, generous vacation and holidays. Beautiful, natural park office environment. Please send letter including why you are interested, required salary range and salary history, and resume ASAP to: Erica@tirn.net or to: TIRN – Operations Director; P.O. Box 370; Forest Knolls, CA 94933
Our office is about 50 minutes from the GG Bridge near the town of Olema in West Marin. Public transportation to our office is very limited, so we encourage candidates who live locally or would relocate near our office.
**People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.**