Reducing the amount of waste we send into our oceans will take everyone's help! Plastic pollution in our oceans is something that humans are responsible for, now it's time we do something to stop it from getting worse. Fortunately, there are many things that we can do, such as:
Realize that "disposable" does not mean "goes away." Everything we create, especially things that are made of plastic, stay on this earth forever.
- Reduce the amount of plastic that we use. Instead of plastic we can use glass bottle, reusable grocery and produce bags, and avoid plastic packaging as much as possible.
- Make sure to recycle any plastic that we cannot avoid using.
- Clean up any litter in the street, especially plastic litter. 80% of plastic in the ocean comes from urban runoff such as flyaway plastic bags.
- Pressure companies that you like shopping from to switch to bio-plastics or other non-plastic packaging. Write them a letter saying that you will boycott their products until there are changes. Convince your friends of family to do it also!
- Write to your congressman and ask that there be action taken. Push for bills that reduce the manufacturing of plastics, support plastic recycling, encourage research into plastic alternatives and support the implementation of those alternatives.
- If you can, donate to organizations that are working hard to put a stop to this problem. Algalita Marine Research Foundation, Ocean Alliance, Center for Ocean Solutions and Green Sangha are all working to reduce the amount of plastics going into our oceans.
- Most importantly, tell everyone! Join STRP's Facebook page. Let people know that this is a serious problem and encourage your friends and family to also adopt these methods of reducing waste.
It will make a difference even if you only adopt a couple of these solutions. And please remember to spread the word (email this page to a friend!).
Plastic Bag Alternatives
Videos and Other Resources