The Communications Manager leads the development and implementation of communications and brand strategies for TIRN and its programs in order to strengthen the organization’s engagement with all key stakeholder groups, including:
• Board of directors
• Conservation Partners.
The Manager ensures that the organizational vision and values are successfully expressed and integrated across all communication channels and vehicles—including print and online publications, web and social media initiatives, email applications, marketing and public/media relations—and that TIRN and its programs are consistent in visual identity and public messaging, internally and externally.
The Manager will:
• Serve as TIRN’s communications expert and advisor internally, and will be responsible for staying abreast of communication innovation and ensuring that TIRN capitalizes on all available on-line channels
• Advise the Senior Management team regarding communications strategies and channels;
• Manage one or more communication interns;
• Has considerable public contact through representation of TIRN and its programs;
• Facilitate the formation of and provide on-going support to a Board of Directors Communications Committee.
The Manager will:
1. Develop and implement an integrated organization-wide communication and brand strategy to engage current and future stakeholders, stimulate program support and membership development, and promote TIRN as a “innovation pioneer”, “thought leader” and “change agent” across all marine conservation programs;
2. Oversee the creative and editorial direction, development, production and execution of all programs’ public communications (website, print and online publications, social media, marketing and advertising); and provide strategic oversight and support for membership and development materials, events and campaigns;
3. Empower staff, leadership, interns and volunteers to serve as ambassadors and advocates of TIRN and of the Environmental movement in general;
4. Lead organization media and community-relations activities;
5. Coordinate all communication activities across TIRN’s various programs;
6. Serve as a principal media spokesperson with various press outlets.
Requirements: Bachelor's degree required. Major in Communication, Marketing or Journalism preferred. Advanced degree desirable. Relevant education/experience in marketing, non-profit management and/or audience research beneficial.
Work Experience: Minimum of five years of experience in communication and marketing required, with the majority of that preferably in a community-based organization or environmental conservation NGO. Four years minimum of communication program design and implementation experience at an organization of similar size and/or structure to TIRN (budget ~$2mm).
Desired Skills and Abilities: Excellent organizational abilities and oral and written communications skills; strong creative problem-solving, consensus building and analytic capabilities; the ability to work effectively with others at all levels as part of a team; must be able to thrive in an evolving and often uncertain program environment.
Expertise in the development, implementation and evaluation of strategic communications and marketing plans. Experience managing the production of a website, print and online publications and marketing/promotional materials, as well as working closely with graphic designers, media and other outside consultants and contacts. Experience with developing and maintaining budgets. Skill in organizing work and supervising staff for maximum effectiveness. Ability to interact in an effective, tactful, and professional manner with Board members, funders, strategic partners, staff, volunteers/interns, the media and the public. Ability to maintain a collegial sense of humor and grace under pressure.
Computer savvy with proficiency in Apple-based software, including PowerPoint; knowledge of at least one major desktop publishing and graphics programs required. Ability to demonstrate proficiency with iMovie extremely desirable.
Salary commensurate with experience. TIRN offers a competitive benefits package, including health, vision and dental insurance and three weeks of vacation.
How to Apply: Submit resume, cover letter and three writing samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
PRINCIPALS ONLY; NO RECRUITING FIRMS WILL BE CONSIDERED.