TIRN is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated fundraising and communications intern committed to conservation issues and focused on a career path in fundraising, communication and nonprofit resource development. We are seeking an energetic, responsible team player to fill this position.
This position requires a full-time, six-month commitment. Working hours are typically 9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday, with occasional evening and weekend work. The selected intern will receive housing in TIRN's newly renovated intern housing in wooded Lagunitas, California, five bike-able miles from our offices on national parklands in west Marin.
This internship will impart a solid, working understanding of nonprofit administration and fundraising. This internship provides the opportunity to work and learn at an established non-profit organization committed to environmental advocacy and wildlife protection, in a beautiful and rustic national park setting, 45 minutes north of San Francisco.
The intern will complete specific projects related to fundraising and communications (about 50% time), and carry out ongoing administrative tasks (about 50% time). The intern will be evaluated regularly and will make a final presentation on his/her work at the close of the internship.
The fundraising and communications intern will gain experience working with the executive director, board of directors, fundraising director and other team members on tasks including:
- Assist in preparation and writing of foundation grant proposals and reports;
- Research and develop fundraising partnerships with progressive companies;
- Research and identify potential individual and foundation prospects for giving;
- Develop materials including web pages, presentations, online brochures and promotional videos;
- Maintain and enhance TIRN's social media presence through communication with more than 20,000 Facebook friends and other social networks;
- Promote TIRN's research expeditions, naturalist training programs, events, merchandise store and other ventures online and through in person tabling and other means;
- Organize events including securing donations of food and beverages, auction items and other in-kind contributions;
- Conduct outreach at public events, gather petition signatures and recruit new sign-ups to our email action lists and recruit new individual donor members;
- Assist in developing materials for the TIRN board of directors and organizing board meetings;
- Help with production and writing of two twice-yearly newsletters;
- Help maintain TIRN's donor databases as needed and assist with data processing, reporting, reconciliation with finance;
- Assist with other fundraising and communications tasks as they arise.
- Have a demonstrated interest in environmental conservation.
- Possess at least a four-year degree or commensurate work related experience.
- Demonstrate excellent English-language writing and verbal communication skills.
- Have strong internet research skills.
- Demonstrate maturity, diplomacy and tact to work with foundations, donors, Board members and the general public. Candidates must be ethical, helpful and thoughtful.
- Be proficient with MS Office for Macintosh
- Have a desire to learn, be flexible, productive and self-reliant, and contribute to building a positive team atmosphere.
Please email a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position, your availability, and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will send you a brief survey about your interests and experience. Thank you!
- Candidates with design and video editing skills preferred.
- Possession of a laptop helpful.
- CA driver's license preferred.