We’re expanding! Now’s your chance to join Turtle Island Restoration Network (TIRN), an award-winning marine wildlife protection and advocacy organization with offices in California and Texas. We seek a full-time Policy & Advocacy team member to join our fast-paced, innovative environmental organization and be a key part of our ocean and watershed conservation efforts.
Through our Ocean initiatives and Salmon Protection and Watershed Network (SPAWN), we are leading the grassroots fight against extinction locally, nationally and internationally. We take on the big problems of the world’s oceans and watersheds — industrial fishing, climate change, pollution, and habitat loss — with a can-do attitude and highly motivated, passionate individuals.
Learn more about our work.
The Policy & Advocacy position designs and implements local, national and international advocacy strategies of the organization to promote protection of endangered marine species and healthy oceans and watersheds. The position works closely with program, legal, communication and development staff to implement effective grassroots strategies leading to better protections for coasts and oceans around the world.
- Work with Executive Director, Managing Director and staff on long-range ocean and watershed planning
- Responsible for advocacy and policy planning, strategy, and research on behalf of the organization. Requires familiarity with government programs and policies on local, state and national/or levels
- Track various issues and policy decisions at the local, state and national levels
- Develops the organization’s advocacy strategy, facilitates processes to determine priority issues, monitors relevant legislation and policy developments, provides advice and strategy assistance to organization staff, drafts written statements and comments on specific policy issues
- Be the primary advocate and spokesperson for campaigns with the decision-makers, public, and media
- Develop unique and diverse coalition of partners including NGOs, scientists and other stakeholders
- Work with communications staff to develop media and outreach materials.
- Develop and advocate for specific policies to protect ocean wildlife with policy makers – working with legislators to promote policies and the public to advocate for policy
- Work with development and communications to craft messages for concept papers, letters of inquiry and funding proposals to foundations and donors
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelors degree in public policy, environmental science, law or related area required. Masters degree preferred
- A minimum of three years experience in effective grassroots organizing and developing and implementing grassroots campaign strategies
- Highly motivated, with the ability to manage multiple projects and work according to specific deadlines
- Excellent written communication, research, and organizational skills
- Interpersonal communication skills; excellent oral communication and ability to participate in public speaking events
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends, as necessary
- A commitment to ocean and wildlife protection
This is a full-time, exempt position at Turtle Island Restoration Network in California. We offer a competitive benefits package including two weeks of vacation, health insurance, and 15 paid holidays. Salary is commensurate with experience and comparable to other similar-sized nonprofit organizations. This position reports to the Managing Director.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume in PDF format to Scott Artis (firstname.lastname@example.org). Use the subject line: “Policy & Advocacy”
TIRN is an equal-opportunity employer. Thanks for your interest and we look forward to meeting you!