This is a remote or non-residential (housing not provided) position in Olema, California.
Turtle Island Restoration Network (TIRN) is an award-winning marine wildlife protection and advocacy organization with offices in California and Texas. Through our Oceans initiatives and Salmon Protection and Watershed Network (SPAWN), we are leading the grassroots fight against extinction locally, nationally and internationally. We take on the big problems of the world’s oceans and watersheds — industrial fishing, climate change, pollution, and habitat loss — with a can-do attitude and highly motivated, passionate individuals.
TIRN is seeking a communications intern to work with the development and communications team at our headquarters in Olema, California to generate more media and brand awareness of TIRN’s work. The intern will assist with communication projects that involve writing, online research, social media outreach, blogging and the occasional administrative duties. Through the internship, the intern will learn and perfect critical marketing, public relations and administrative skills applicable in both the for-profit and nonprofit sectors while contributing to meaningful environmental initiatives.
- Assist with the development and creation of TIRN’s media and outreach materials.
- Provide content for social media platforms used to increase the organization’s online presence.
- Supervise social media content by monitoring positions and activities made by followers.
- Find new and creative ways to increase TIRN’s presence in the online community.
- Monitor analytics with social media team to identify viable ideas.
- Research and write digital news content and press releases.
- Assist in the general distribution of press releases and media alerts.
- Assist in the development of branding materials such as press kits and branding guides.
- Provide support to our marketing team at live and online events.
- Implement content strategies for email marketing, social media channels and website.
- Assist with processing and entering data in databases and maintaining accurate records of valuable company information.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills
- Currently enrolled in a university program or recently graduated.
- Ability to work very well independently, with excellent skills in teamwork and collaboration.
- A strong understanding of social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
- Experience with social media analytics, including Google Analytics and Facebook Insights.
- Ability to create thoughtful content that will engage our communities on social media.
- Photography and/or video skills.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with the use of media databases and CRM platforms a plus.
- Experience in planning fundraising and other public events a plus.
- WordPress experience a plus.
- Graphic design experience a plus.
- Interest in working to make the world a better place.
Location: The work can be performed remotely, with periodic check-ins via phone and video conference. If the candidate is interested, the position could be part-time, on-site at our headquarters in Olema, California.
Starting Time: Fall/Winter 2019, applications reviewed and filled on rolling basis.
Hours: Negotiable. Hours dependent on assigned projects and can be set according to the intern’s needs. For a remote position, we prefer a commitment of at least 15-20 hours/week for ten weeks or longer. Please include available hours and start date in your application. Start and ending date are flexible.
We are happy to work with academic departments to ensure the internship meets requirements for academic credit.
How to Apply
Please send a letter of interest and resume in PDF format to Rebekah Staub at firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the subject line “Communications Intern” followed by your name.
TIRN is an equal-opportunity employer. Thanks for your interest. We look forward to meeting you!