Environmental Advocacy Internship
Turtle Island Restoration Network, located in west Marin County, Calif. is seeking a qualified individual for the Environmental Advocacy Internship.
Starting Fall, 2016
Full Time- 40hrs a week
Shared housing provided- 2 per room
Opportunity to volunteer at food bank in exchange for weekly groceries
The Environmental Advocacy Internship position requires a full-time commitment starting October 2015. Working hours are typically 9 am to 5 pm, Tuesday through Saturday, with some evening and weekend work. The selected intern will receive housing in Turtle Island’s newly renovated intern housing in wooded Lagunitas, Calif., five bike-able miles from our offices on beautiful national parklands in west Marin. Immerse yourself in the beauty of the redwoods and explore the expansive national seashore while working for the summer to protect endangered species.
This internship will impart a solid, working understanding of nonprofit and the many hats required to be a true environmental activist. This internship provides the opportunity to play a critical role as a Turtle Island team member, alongside internationally recognized scientists and policy makers. Our office lies in a beautiful and rustic national park setting, 45 minutes north of San Francisco.
We are looking for candidates with a passion for environmental advocacy and conservation. This position takes personal initiative and team building skills to be a contributing member of this fast paced environment. You will have the opportunity to wear many hats and support a variety of projects for this very dynamic organization.
- Attending and managing weekly volunteer events on Friday and Saturdays
- Supporting biological research on Sea Turtles, Salmon and Sharks, as needed
- Assist in preparation and writing of foundation grant proposals and reports
- Community outreach and education onsite and at local events
- Building community support for assigned priority campaigns
- Support social media presence on multiple platforms
- Write and submit press releases to gain acknowledgement for your work
- Organize events including securing donations of food and beverages, auction items and other in-kind contributions;
- Help with production and writing of two twice-yearly newsletters;
- Help maintain TIRN’s donor databases as needed and assist with data processing, reporting, reconciliation with finance;
- Taking initiative, following instruction accurately, and reporting on successes
- Attending events outside of the typical work week including award ceremonies, lectures, and other arranged opportunities.
Qualifications and Skills Desired:
- An environmental activist at heart, with a fully committed focus to this experience in it’s entirety.
- Have a desire to learn, be flexible, productive and self-reliant, and take initiative to building a positive team atmosphere.
- Exhibits work professionalism.
- Possess at least a four-year degree or commensurate work related experience.
- Demonstrate excellent English-language writing and verbal communication skills.
- Have strong internet research skills.
- Demonstrate maturity, diplomacy and tact to work with foundations, donors, Board members and the general public. Candidates must be ethical, helpful and thoughtful.
- Be proficient with MS Office for Macintosh
Please email a resume and cover letter for the Environmental Advocacy Internship to firstname.lastname@example.org.