Environmental Advocacy Internship
Turtle Island Restoration Network, located in west Marin County, Calif. is seeking a qualified individual for the Environmental Advocacy Internship.
Starting March, 2018
This position is unpaid, ideal for those looking to gain hands-on experience in field biology and restoration. Your work full time (minimum 40hrs a week) is compensated through housing down the road from our office, and invaluable on the job training.
Position is open until filled
Shared housing provided- 2 per room
Opportunity to volunteer at food bank in exchange for weekly groceries
Physically demanding tasks require lifting up to 50lbs. and working with extreme outdoor conditions (ex. sun, rain, poison oak, ticks)
The Environmental Advocacy Internship is full-time. Working hours are typically 9 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday. The selected intern will receive housing in Turtle Island’s newly renovated intern housing in wooded Lagunitas, Calif., five bike-able miles from our offices on beautiful national parklands in west Marin. Immerse yourself in the beauty of the redwoods and explore the expansive national seashore while working to protect endangered species.
The intern will receive training in environmental advocacy and outreach. The intern’s main project will be helping to launch a boycott of unsustainable swordfish, helping to protect ocean wildlife from deadly drift gillnet and longlines. This intern will play a critical role as a Turtle Island team member and will be supervised by Turtle Island Restoration Network’s advocacy & policy director.
Our office lies in a beautiful and rustic national park setting, 45 minutes north of San Francisco.
We are looking for candidates with a passion for environmental advocacy and conservation. Preferred candidates will have a related college degree.
- Researching the market for swordfish in CA
- Building community support for assigned campaign priorities
- Support social media presence on multiple platforms
- Assist with organizing events
- Conduct outreach to variety of stakeholders
Qualifications and Skills Desired:
- An environmental activist at heart
- Have a desire to learn, be flexible, productive and self-reliant, and take initiative to building a positive team atmosphere.
- Previous advocacy experience
- Demonstrate excellent English-language writing and verbal communication skills.
- Have strong internet research skills.
Please email a resume and cover letter for the Environmental Advocacy Internship to firstname.lastname@example.org.