Habitat Restoration Internship- Starting April 25th
Turtle Island’s Salmon Protection And Watershed Network (SPAWN), located in west Marin County, Calif. is seeking a qualified individual.
Starting Monday April 25th, 2016
Full Time- minimum 40hrs a week
Shared housing provided- 2 per room
Opportunity to volunteer at food bank in exchange for weekly groceries
SPAWN is offering a Habitat Restoration Internship to assist with planning, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of habitat restoration projects in the Lagunitas Creek Watershed starting in October 2015. Under supervision from SPAWN staff, the Habitat Restoration Intern will be responsible for assisting with native plant propagation and out-plating, irrigation and watering, restoration site preparation, recruiting and training volunteers, data collection and entry, and project management. The intern will gain technical skills in stream and riparian restoration practices, vegetation monitoring, and volunteer management. Beyond working in habitat restoration interns will all learn about the dynamic inner workings of a non-profit. This includes fundraising, community development, outreach, database management, and campaign support.
- Habitat Restoration: assist SPAWN staff with planning, design, implementation, and monitoring of riparian restoration projects including native plant propagation and out-plating, irrigation and watering, restoration site preparation, data collection and entry, and project management
- Volunteer Outreach and Management: recruit and train volunteers to assist with habitat restoration projects.
- Fundraising and community development
- Native Plant Nursery Management
- Press and Media Outreach
- Some evening lectures and advocacy events required
- Campaign development and support
Qualifications and Skills Desired:
- Experience in native (and exotic) plant identification
- Interested in stream/ riparian restoration practices
- Experience collecting, entering, and organizing biological data
- Experience in volunteer management
- Experience with Microsoft Access and Excel
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively to members of the public
- Ability to work independently and organize oneself
- Ability to use PC or Mac proficiently (Windows Office)
- Driver’s license (own vehicle a plus)
- Ability to project a positive image with community
- Organization skills with attention to detail.
About Turtle Island’s SPAWN Program:
SPAWN works to protect imperiled salmonids, countless other species, and their habitat in the Lagunitas Watershed, West Marin County, Calif. This watershed supports one of the largest populations of endangered coho salmon in California, and also maintains populations of threatened steelhead trout and endangered freshwater shrimp. SPAWN bases their community restoration, research, education, outreach and advocacy efforts on science-based conservation principles.
Please email a resume and cover letter for the Habitat Restoration Internship to firstname.lastname@example.org.