Do you love the oceans and coast? Are you ready to put to work your passion for protecting sea turtles, whales, sharks, and salmon from extinction? Do you want to use your strong writing skills and social media experience to get people involved in the fight for our oceans?
The Communications Associate is a valuable member of Turtle Island’s hard-working team of scientists, lawyers, advocates, and communicators. The Associate will be responsible for getting our ocean protection message out and driving people to become more engaged with our programs and mission.
A key goal for the Communications Associate over the next period will be to implement and test strategies using email, social media, website content, paid advertising, and other tools to increase the size of our email list.
The mid-level position reports to the Executive Director and is located in west Marin County, California.
- Work with other team members to refine and test TIRN’s marine and coastal conservation messaging.
- Serve as the principal writer of all public facing communication material (website, social media, press releases, op eds, print and online publications, marketing, and advertising) and coordinate editorial calendar in all channels.
- Implement and test marketing strategies and methods to drive people towards joining our email list.
- Schedule, manage, and design online and print communication materials (including production process and working with outside designers and vendors) and manage communication assets including photographs, images, videos, and fact sheets.
- Support all staff, leadership and interns and members to serve as ambassadors and advocates of TIRN and of the Environmental movement in general through trainings and participating in community-related activities;
- As needed, serve as media spokesperson with various press outlets;
- Report monthly to Senior Management on milestones and evaluation of new methods.
- A passion for saving wildlife and protecting oceans and coasts
- Strong and fast writing and editing skills
- Experience and obsession with using online tools to engage people
- Pride in producing results and hitting goals
- Minimum of two years of experience in communications/marketing, preferably in a community-based organization or environmental conservation NGO.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree required. Major in English, Communications or Journalism preferred.
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Sense of humor and calm under pressure
- Drive to constantly learn and gather more skills and knowledge
- Mac-savvy with ability to work with graphic design, photography, and video programs.
- Aptitude for WordPress and email marketing services.
- Not afraid to fail
About the organization
Turtle Island Restoration Network (SeaTurtles.org) protects the oceans and the coasts. Well-known for our work to protect endangered sea turtles and salmon, TIRN is a hard-hitting environmental organization committed to inspiring people around the world to take action to protect endangered marine species and the ecosystems we all need to survive. The position is based at our headquarters in Marin County, CA near Point Reyes National Seashore with offices in Galveston, TX.
- Paid medical, dental and vision plan.
- Generous Time Off Policies
- Relaxed work atmosphere and dress code.
Please send an irresistible cover letter and a resume to Info@SeaTurtles.Org. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.