For more than 30 years, our science-based campaigns have protected nesting beaches, stopped deadly fishing practices, and halted immediate threats to sea turtles and other marine species through hands-on conservation and effective advocacy.
Support Our Work 🤜
Turtle Island Restoration Network is a leading advocate for endangered sea turtles and the oceans that sustain them.
What We Do
Why It Matters
- Sea turtles have been around since the time of the dinosaurs—about 110 million years
- The oceans contain 99% of the living space on the planet
- The ocean produces over half of the world’s oxygen and absorbs 50 times more carbon dioxide than our atmosphere
- Nearly all species of sea turtle are classified as endangered
- 38 million tonnes of sea creatures are unintentionally caught in global industrial fisheries every year
- At least 8 million tons of plastic end up in our oceans every year, and make up 80% of all marine debris